Here at Ivy Studio, we are by no means purists, but we do have an undertaking to source products that are packaged with as little non-recyclable material as possible. Adopting the reduce, reuse, recycle philosophy, we have curated a collection of gift boxes we are calling ‘Love the Environment’. We believe the quality, stylish products we have sourced will be well received and put to good use on a day-to-day basis, thus having a positive impact on the environment. We also think the ripple effect will be powerful – as others notice these items being used on a daily basis, they may well be inspired to make changes too.
The following gathered facts are but a few relating to the gravity of the situation that one of our gift boxes will assist in addressing:
- Approximately 252,000 tonnes of plastic waste is disposed of in NZ landfills each year [source].
- Disposable coffee cups have a film of polyethylene that is not recyclable and releases methane gas into landfills.
- Alarmingly, a 2016 World Economic Forum report said that the world is on track to have more plastic than fish in the oceans by 2050.
- In NZ our recycling of plastics is around 50% currently. (Just think of the plastic drink bottles you see lying around the streets that don’t make it in to rubbish bins, let alone being appropriately recycled.)
While researching environmentally friendly products, we discovered ‘Ecozoi’ a company in Seattle, Washington. It is heartwarming to note that of their top 10 tips for a life without plastic, Ivy Studio’s ‘Love the Environment’ gift boxes satisfy 4 of their recommendations for life with less plastic:
- Bring a reusable coffee cup.
- Don’t buy plastic bottles, bring your own refillable.
- Bring your own shopping bag.
- Use reusable beeswax wrap instead of clingfilm.
By giving our ‘Love the Environment’ gift boxes you will be changing the course of the future. We believe that every little change makes a big difference.